Beyond the design of your roof and the roof materials, choosing a contractor you can trust is the most important factor to completing the project. These two factors are only one part of the equation. This is why it is best to choose a company with an exceptional reputation and proper licensing.
If you live in an area that is prone to hail damage or severe weather, beware of storm chasers who travel from state to state completing home repairs. Here are a few ways to help you and your neighbors spot a storm chaser:
- Look for out of state license plates or an out of state driver's license - this is one of the first signs you have been approached by a storm chaser.
- Storm chasers generally work from door to door, implementing high pressure sales techniques while offering a 'free roof.'
- Storm chasers usually collect a homeowner's insurance claim check for payment, often committing insurance fraud while doing so.
- Contracts are a tool storm chaser use, asking the homeowner to sign up front and collecting payment with it.
- Storm chasers have no proof of manufacturer's certifications - this is why choosing a certified contractor is so important.
- Storm chasers are usually not listed with your state's Better Business Bureau and if they are have several or hundreds of complaints filed against them.
Choosing the right contractor
When storm chasers complete a job, they are off to the next storm-ravaged area and take your 'warranty' with them. Always make sure the company you consider to complete your roofing project not only has a business license, but a contractor's license issued by your state. This ensures the contractor is held liable by your state's licensing board in case of a dispute. Also, use social platforms and check out sites such as Kudzu or Angie's List. These are easy ways to read both good and bad individual experiences.
If you suspect roof damage from recent hail or a severe storm, never trust a storm chaser to inspect the damage. The best way to have your roof inspected for damage is to file a claim and leave it to your insurance company to inspect the damage. Insurance companies have trained and insured catastrophe specialists that are able to determine whether or not the roof requires repair or replacement.
With over 20 years' experience as a roofing contractor, EXOVATIONS has found GAF roofing materials to offer the best roofing system and shingles available. With unsurpassed durability, beauty, color variety and protection in the roofing industry, you can't go wrong with GAF roofing products installed by EXOVATIONS.
Your home's roof is an extensive investment and the first line of defense against the environment. This year, severe thunderstorms are predicted to be above average for central states in May and June than previous years past. If you are in the Atlanta area, trust your exterior home renovations will be done right with EXOVATIONS.
It is important to prepare yourself with the knowledge needed to replace your roof. After all, your roof protects you and your family. For more information on roof replacement, contact EXOVATIONS for a free consultation.